27 July 2007

That's Mr. Donkey to you

Still somewhat riding the high of my weekend wins, I sat down to play a bit last night. I managed to Gigli+1 from a FTP ticket tourney when some clown showed no respect for my TP, calling with bottom pair on the flop and catching trips on the turn.

Since that had taken only five minutes, I immediately signed up for another. I left this one even sooner when I again seriously overplayed TP.

Then, realizing I needed a real donkey event if I was to do anything worthwhile, I signed up for a $1 rebuy. Just like on Friday, I was able to get through the rebuy with just my initial two buy-ins and the add-on.

I was doing okay considering how bad my cards were. I more than doubled on the one good pocket pair I caught. But much of the rest of my little bit of success was due to suckouts.

The guy sitting to my immediate right was playing pretty tight, but every time it folded to him in the SB he'd toss in a raise. I was getting nothing so there wasn't much I could do to fight back without taking a big risk. Finally I'd had enough and pushed back with a massive J2. He had KJ, but I managed to catch runner-runner for a small straight.

This type of thing happened several times. He'd put in a raise, I'd push back, and he'd have something better than I did. Every time. Sometimes I'd get lucky, sometimes not. Nearing the money -- a whopping $6 -- I was getting short and needed to build my stack to get beyond the bubble. After what seemed like an eternity I finally got a hand worth pushing with: AQ. I'm in the BB. There's one limper and then my "friend" in the SB makes it 3BB to go. I push, he calls (which he probably would have done regardless of his cards given the massive 2BB raise my push represented), and turns over AK. It's deja vu all over again, except no suckout for me this time. I hit the rail just a few spots short of the money.

I was kind of surprised at this rebuy. A $1 rebuy is usually a total donkfest. Five-way all-ins with only one guy having anything resembling a real hand. But not this one. There were some rebuys, but not nearly the number I'd expected and very few of them as a result of totally crazy play.

There's something unsettling about this. I've noticed a similar trend in the last several rebuys I've played. I'm not entirely sure what it means, but I have a suspicion it's not good.

No comments: