24 November 2008

Weekly Update

I seem to be on a semi-regular schedule of weekly updates on Monday. No specific plan here, it's just happening that way.

When I got home from work on Friday I immediately joined a $2+0.25 two-table SnG at Full Tilt. I did reasonably okay, making the final table. Then some idiot with a big stack decides to throw his chips around. Two calls to me in the BB with AQs. I raise to 4BB. One call and then a push from the bigger stack. I correctly make the call as he turns over QJo, making me a 3:1 favorite. Of course, the flop brings a KT and he rivers a 9 to send me home. What got me was some clown not in the hand typing "nh" into the chat. Was that sarcasm or was he really so stupid to type "nh" when the guy hits a 15% shot on the river? Oh well, that's poker.

On Sunday I played another $2+0.25. Just a single table this time. I made one stupid move early and never recovered. I get AKo in the SB. There are three calls ahead of me so I make it 5BB to go. The guy in the cutoff, holding 34s makes the call. For the life of me I don't understand this. He puts in almost 20% of his stack on a real long shot hand. Of course, he hits it big when the flop brings 567. Assuming that flop had to miss anyone who called a 5BB pre-flop raise, I bet 2/3 the pot. The other guy naturally pushes. This is where I made the stupid move. Even assuming the guy missed the flop, if he pushes at this point he's probably got me beat. I'm getting 3:1 pot odds, but I think it was still a mistake to make the call. Well, obviously it was a mistake since the best I could hope for at this point was a runner-runner chop.

I hit a few hands after that, but I would have needed an incredible run of luck to survive after that hit.

Seeing how early I was likely to be exiting that tournament, I jumped into a $10, $15k guaranteed tournament. I never got any traction at all in that one. Then I made a stupid move with ATo and ran right into AA. I guess I was getting impatient because I wasn't getting much in the way of cards and when I got something halfway decent it never amounted to much. Didn't quite make the top half of the field in that one.

I played a bit of $0.02/$0.05 NL on behalf of The Quest. I had some decent sessions Sunday, earning $9.81 total. I'm taking all this week off, so I played a bit this afternoon, winning $2.63 in one session. The Quest bankroll is almost back up to the all time high. I shouldn't really be playing $0.02/$0.05 with this bankroll, but I'm willing to take the small chance in order to build the bankroll faster. If I start losing big I can always drop back.

No comments: