07 March 2009

Suckout City

I just finished a DoNT that had to have a higher concentration of suckouts and re-sucks than any tournament I've ever played. It was both amazing and rather disgusting at the same time.

I played my normal ultra-tight game until blinds got to 100/200/20 and I had blinded down to 1280. (I had taken a couple very small pots prior to this.) I get AJo UTG. We're down to seven players. I figure a push is the only reasonable action here. I get one caller who turns over AQo. I'm already packing up my stuff and heading for the exit. That is until I flop Broadway. No jack comes to save the other guy. I double up and he's down to crumbs.

Two hands later it folds to me in the SB holding KJo. I'd like to see a flop so I call. The BB, who has about 1000 more than me, makes it 600 to go. There are four players with stacks less than half the size of mine and only two more eliminations, so making a strategic withdrawal is the only reasonable course of action here. I go to click on the fold button but somehow hit the call button instead. I guess even your button clicking skills suffer if you don't play every day.

Figuring I've just thrown away 400 chips, I'm shocked to see a flop of KJ8, rainbow. This is a hand that demands to be slowplayed, so I check. The BB pushes all-in. I probably should have folded, but I just couldn't see him having trips. I called all-in. He turns over AA and I'm already counting my chips. Then disaster strikes. The turn is an 8. I can't believe it. Again I'm packing up and heading for the rail.

Not so fast. The suckouts aren't over yet. The river brings a K and I re-suck to take it down. I'm now the BIG stack by over 1500.

A couple hands later the guy who had the aces pushes all-in with 99 and gets a call from another smaller stack holding KJo. The flop is TT9, handing a boat to the guy I almost knocked out. The other guy fills his straight on the river, but it's not enough.

A few hands later, one of the smaller stacks raises with K2s and gets a call from the BB. When the flop brings a K, the K2 guy pushes in. The BB calls and turns over KQs. Of course, the river brings a 2 and another suckout keeps the tournament from ending.

There's maybe ten hands with a bit of blind stealing and not much other action. Then somebody is forced all-in in the SB. I call from the cutoff with AQo. We don't see the cards at the time because not everyone was all-in, but the SB has K6o. The flop brings KK9, with the turn filling his boat with a 6. When the river brings a 9 I figure I'm going to take it with kings and nines, ace kicker, but noooooooo...

A few hands later a couple of the smaller stacks push all-in. One has AJs, the smaller stack has A3s. This should be the last hand. But wait, there's more. The flop is 337. We're not done yet.

A couple hands later I'm in the SB with Q7o. The BB has only 180 left after posting the blind. I call, hoping he has less than an average hand. He does, but that doesn't matter when the flop brings him trips. At least it only cost me another 180.

Next hand we get another all-in from a small stack and a call from somebody with only 185 more. TT vs 44, with the bigger stack having the tens. Again, this should be the last hand. Nope. The guy with fours hits his two-outer on the river.

Finally, we get to the final hand. The loser from the last hand is all-in in the SB. Big stack to my right calls. I've got KK so of course I call. BB checks his option. We check it down, my kings prevail, and it's finally over.

Maybe it wasn't the most suckouts ever, but it sure seemed like a lot of them in pretty short order.

2 comments:

Cory Albertson said...

Hey nice blog, love the graphics in the sidebar. I'd like to share with you an idea of a small bit of work we could do together. If you could, shoot a blank email to cory@pokertipsDOTorg and I'll shoot you the details.

Thanks!

Fabi Benetti said...

I love your blog ..
turned your follower! hehehe ..
always visit to see what is d new!
hehehe ..
would love to have your visit in my blog, I also work with crafts, and beginning to now in red!
hehehe ..
http://flordecabelo.blogspot.com/
replaced it, and let your opinion ..
kisses
and success!