07 February 2007

Happy Hammer Day!

Just in case somebody has overlooked it, today, 2/7/07, is Hammer Day! Come celebrate at Full Tilt tonight.



Let's see, played in the WWdN last night. I had the 'pleasure' of having Maigrey at my table right from the start. I don't know her and to my knowledge haven't played with her before, but there are apparently a lot of other bloggers who are well acquainted with her. My introduction was somewhat less than cordial.

She came out of the blocks playing very aggressively and then quickly moved into super-hyper-aggressive mode. Her play was either brilliant, suicidal, or, more likely, a mixture of the two. She ran roughshod over the table, blatantly stealing hand after hand. I knew exactly what she was doing, but couldn't afford to stop her and wasn't getting cards to go against her. She also had luck rivaled only by Jamie Gold. If I hadn't been on the receiving end it would have been quite humorous to watch.

She rather quickly built a gargantuan stack as player after player tried to play sheriff, only to be gunned down in the middle of the street. It was brutal. I mostly tried to avoid her.

I kept waiting for good cards. They never came. I eventually bluffed at a flop I couldn't see hitting anybody too hard and somebody moved all in. Looking at the hand history I can't see what prompted me to do it, but I raised all-in for just a bit more. I guess I just had a feeling that the flop couldn't have hit anyone hard enough to put them so far ahead that they'd push. I was right. A'arab Zaraq turned over a straight draw. I was ahead with two overcards. He rivered a pair and I was down to crumbs.

I doubled up a couple times, but was still seriously short-stacked when I pushed A7o into a pair of fours. I flopped a 7, but brdweb turned another 4 and I go home well out of the money.

I also played a 45-runner SnG. Third hand of the tournament I get pocket 7's and call a min-raise. The flop is 773. It checks around. Turn brings a T and finally somebody ahead of me puts in a small bet. I call. Guy behind me raises it to 260. One fold, one call. I go slightly more than a min-raise, making it 480 to go. Two callers. The river is a blank. I bet 440 -- a really weak bet at this point -- and get one caller. Third hand and I'm in second with double the starting stack.

I stayed near the top for quite a while, but a couple false starts and a number of blind increases later and I'm in trouble. I again finish out of the money.

No comments: