27 March 2008

The Quest Graph

I have updated the graph for The Quest. If you're reading this at the actual blog site rather than through a reader you should see the new graph to the right. Clicking on it should bring up a large version that's actually legible. If you have problems with it let me know and I'll try to hack my way through the html.

In the course of updating this I discovered it was easier to create the graph I wanted using Google Docs spreadsheet than it was using OpenOffice. I suspect OpenOffice allows for more powerful graphical presentations, but for simple stuff Google Docs seems easier. The other benefit of using Google Docs is I can enter my updates from anywhere. Definitely a plus.

I'm still working on getting the graph to update automatically without me having to edit the blog and change the picture reference. That would make things much simpler.

Edit: Things just got much simpler. Using a Google Docs gadget I was able to get the graph to update by just adding the data to the spreadsheet and re-publishing the gadget. Very cool.
Edit2: The Google Docs gadget does not produce a larger version when clicked. I'll have to see if I can make it do that, but the auto-update is far too convenient to give up on.

No comments: