24 January 2007

I hate big slick!

As I've mentioned, I've been working on clearing some bonus at PokerStars in the cheap seats. Last week the 1/2 LHE tables were not exactly loose, but not certainly not squeaking when they walked. This week there's been a lot of squeaking. This makes it somewhat more difficult to turn a profit, not to mention earn FPPs.

On top of uber-tight tables, I've been dealt big slick 25 times in the last three days and won one pot of any size at all. I did win a few other pots, but they weren't worth much. My net for the week on big slick is 5BB. And that's not counting the big hit I took in a tournament when AK did nothing but get me in trouble.

That's one third the expected return. I know that's how variance works, but it's getting very depressing. I'm about to the point where I'm going to start folding big slick. You're supposed to get excited when you see that A and K. I'm just wondering how much it's going to cost me this time.

I'll be glad when this bonus chase is over and I can stop screwing with limit. I used to do very well at limit -- actually made most of my current bankroll playing limit -- but in the last year I've been completely unable to turn a profit at the limit tables. It's just loss after loss. I don't know, maybe playing NL and tournaments have ruined me for limit. Whatever it is, it's very depressing, and coming up with just a bit more than squat from the last 25 big slicks is not helping my attitude.

Continuing with the theme of depression, I played the Mookie tonight. I was card dead the whole time. I won one pot, and on that all I did was steal the blinds. Best hand I saw all night was the ATs I went all-in with and ran into TripJax's AK.

Not having had enough losing for one evening, I immediately signed up for a Tier 1 SnG at Full Tilt. I usually do quite well at these. Until this week I'd won a ticket in the last five in a row and parlayed one of those into a Tier 2 ticket. In this tournament I actually got some cards and was doing pretty good, staying well within the top five winning positions for much of the time. I made one mistake that set me back, but was making a decent comeback.

I had a healthy stack but needed to improve a bit to be in a winning position. UTG, who'd been pretty wild the whole time, raises to 1050 (3.5BB). I'm in the SB with QQ. I'm about 90% sure I'm ahead and the 1500 chips already in the pot will go a long way toward securing me a ticket, so I push. UTG calls with, get this, QJs. I could understand this if I'd been a desperate short stack that could be pushing with anything, but I wasn't desperate and it was a near certainty that QJs was way behind here. And the call cost him two-thirds of his remaining stack, leaving him in very bad shape if the likely odds hold true. A fold would have hurt, but left him in reasonable shape and far from out of it. All told, one of the stupidest moves I've seen in a while. Of course, he rivers his flush and I go home with no ticket.

Maybe it's not just big slick that I hate.

Also, just a reminder to not bother looking for the WWdNot. It's dead. Go play CC's Thursday Bash instead.

2 comments:

TripJax said...

If it helps any, after an up and down night at the Mookie, being in the top 5 numerous times, then in the bottom 5 numerous times...

When I was down to about 1800 with the blinds at 100/200, there were two players who called the 200 and I pushed with AK suited. Both players call...one with A K and the other with T J. T J takes it down with a T on the flop. Oh well...big slick didn't like me last night.

Good gaming sir and nice blog...I've added it to my read list...

TripJax said...

That should have been a Jack on the flop...