19 August 2006

HORSE'ing Around

I played a $5+$0.50 limit HORSE SnG at Full Tilt today. This was my first time playing HORSE. Actually, it was my first time, period, playing some of these games outside of my semi-regular friendly game.

First, some comments about the mechanics. I don't think Full Tilt does a good job in announcing the game changes or even what the current game is. Hold'em and Omaha aren't mentioned anywhere. I suppose they figure the arrangement of the cards in front of you should make it obvious, but when the fog of war descends it's easy to get confused and disoriented. It's a simple thing to put the name of the current game somewhere obvious on the screen and they should do so.

When the game changes to Razz, Stud, or Stud Hi/Lo, they put the name of the game in the middle of the table, but it's easy to overlook. (More on this later.) I think when the game changes at all they should do some kind of pop-up in the client. It's way too easy to overlook the RSE game changes.

I also don't think their 5-minute levels work particularly well with this game. This seems a natural for level change when the game changes, and I think they should go that way.

As for the game, it's a bit of a blur in my mind. I remember winning an early hand. And then not much happened for a long time. Toward the middle I started getting some okay cards. At least I think they were okay. O8 still confuses the hell out of me, though I'm definitely past the phase where you keep forgetting two-from-your-hand-and-three-from-the-board.

I do remember the turning point for me were two consecutive hands. We were playing Razz and for once I got some excellent starting cards -- A42. I end up all-in and my 974 beat the other guy's 976. Great hand. I more than double up to 1,990.

On the very next hand I get dealt A72. Fourth street brings me a 6. I figure I'm looking good. The only player showing anything threatening, 53, goes all-in for 45. I make it 200 and there are two other callers. On fifth street I get the 3. I've got a made 76. The all-in guy with the 53 just paired his fives. I couldn't be happier with this hand. I bet 400.

While waiting for one of the other players to act my eye moves across the middle of the table where I see the rather inconspicuous listing of the current game -- Stud Hi. WHAT??? When did the game change? Oh, shit! I'm playing the wrong freakin' game. I've got almost half my stack in the pot and I've got Ace high. I am so screwed. My only prayer now is that both the other guys fold, though I've still got to beat a pair of fives. I get one caller and one fold. I'm hoping I can force the other guy out on the next card and at least I'll be able to salvage something from this.

Sixth street brings the 4h. An improvement on my low hand that won't count, but still my absolute salvation. I've got four other hearts, including the ace. I've just filled a nut flush. The other guy still active is showing three diamonds and three to a straight. I bet, he raises to 800 and I push in my remaining 360 chips.

Seventh street is of no consequence to anyone. The guy who'd gone all-in earlier actually had aces in the hole, ending up with aces and fives. The other guy also caught his flush on sixth street, but his was only queen high. I backed my way into a 4,795 pot by playing the wrong game. This made me the chip leader. I caught a few decent hands beyond this, but mostly I used my stack to bully the rest of the table, never relinquishing the lead.



I'm not entirely sure if I had fun at this or not. It's nice winnning, but I spent a good deal of the time rather confused, not sure what makes a good hand and what doesn't in most of the games. I'm also well aware I totally lucked into winning that one big hand that made all the difference. I do know I'm willing to give it another try. If you have any real clue about what you're doing in the last four letters of HORSE, this could be an opportunity to take advantage of a lot of confusion in the larger poker community. And let me know where you're playing so I can stay away.

No comments: