07 August 2006

What's a suckout?

Damn. I got enticed into creating this blog so I could post comments on other restricted blogs, and now here I am adding entries to my own. Okay, I promise this will be the last time (yeah, right) I'll whine about not really wanting to blog.

I played a SnG at Bodog yesterday and somebody made a comment about a suckout and another player asked, "What's a suckout?" I suspect he was joking, though he did seem genuinely thankful for the explanations. If he was just trying to enhance his "beginner" image, nh.

Darval talks about what consitutes a suckout in his blog and that prompted me to respond and then do even more in-depth research. After reading through a lot of blather from people who admitted they didn't know what they were talking about but didn't let that stop them from posting endlessly about the topic, I finally came upon what I think constitutes a good working definition of "suckout".

Jobe Gilchrist over on the Full Tilt forums posted something which I will now paraphrase. A suckout occurs when at some point in the hand a player made a very, very bad decision and won the hand anyway. Bad decision here is used in the sense that if you could see all the cards you would not make that same decision. Very, very bad decision is used in the sense that if you'd just gotten paid after six months at sea and were already on your sixth Mojito and could just barely see your own cards, you'd never make that same decision if all the other cards were face up.

Feel free to discuss among yourselves.

Addendum: Not worth a post of its own, but I'd like to remind both of the people reading this blog about the WWdN: Not The Katitude Invitational tournament at PokerStars on 10 August at 2230 EDT. It's not usually a big tournament, but it makes up in quality what it lacks in quantity. Password is monkey.

No comments: