25 October 2007

The Mookie

Played The Mookie last night for the first time in quite a while. Fantastic turnout -- over 100. Sadly, for me, it was not a good evening.

The tone was set early when I saw a free flop from the BB with T6o. Flop was 677. It checked around. Turn brings a 2. The coast looks clear, so I bet out 3/4 the pot. One caller. River brings a J. I don't really want to invest any more in this, so I check. Other player bets the pot. My first inclination was to fold, but my first inclination in these situations is almost always to fold. I thought a while and reasoned that this looked like he was trying to scare me away, so I called. (I'd also add that we started with double stacks and the blinds were still low, so if I lost it wasn't a disaster.) He turns over pocket 7's. Sandbagged by flopped quads.

I drifted for quite a while after that. Never losing much, but never winning much either. Then came the crippler. I get pocket 9's on the button. Blinds 50/100. Two limps ahead of me. I make it 500 to go. BB, who's down to M=10, pushes all-in. I'm getting better than 2:1 to make the call. If he's got an overpair I'm screwed, otherwise I'm way to the good. I call. He turns over AKs. Good call on my part since I'm actually favored here, getting better than 2:1 from the pot, and not in danger of busting if I lose. Of course the flop brings an A and I get no help.

My final hand I'm in the BB with QJo. It folds around to the SB who completes. If my stack had been bigger -- I was down to M=7 -- I might have raised, but decided to just check. Flop is AQ5, two clubs. SB checks. I figure he doesn't have an A or he would have raised pre-flop so I make a pot-sized bet. He check-raises me all-in. I'm thinking he's on a draw so I call. I'm right; he's got two clubs. Again, I get my money in with the best of it and getting bonus odds from the pot to boot. Again, I get outdrawn.

I know it's no biggie to lose two coin flips in a row. It just kind of sucks when they're the only two big hands you play all night.

I forget what position I went out in. It was way, way down in the pack.

Tonight is the Riverchasers event at Full Tilt. See you there.

No comments: