13 August 2007

Quest Update

My big poker quest has not progressed markedly in the last week. I've been spending more time losing money at limit in my quest for Full Tilt Strawman status. I find limit extraordinarily frustrating. It seems the only way I've had any success at all is to play fairly passively and run away at the least sign of trouble unless I have the nuts.

I'm also noticing that my time at the NL ring tables and in NL tournaments has affected my limit game. Not so much in the way I play my hand, but in the way I perceive others playing theirs. After playing so much NL, I find I have a far greater tendency to think people are bluffing. In NL this is always a concern. In limit, at least for most players who are playing within reason, say VP$IP < 30%, bluffing is the rare exception, not the rule. I don't know how many times I've put in two or three big bets knowing full well the other guy caught his straight or flush, but being unwilling to accept it. Those single bets just don't seem big enough to chase me out after being conditioned to pot-sized bets in NL.

I'm going to push on with my Strawman quest this month. I just hope I don't deplete my bankroll before I make it.

On my other quest, to turn $5 into $5,000 at the NL ring tables, yesterday was the first time I've played in the last week. I caught a couple decent hands and managed to avoid falling into any traps. I was up $5.70 for the abbreviated session. This brings my bankroll to a whopping $15.10.

I've been thinking about moving my quest to PokerStars because they have the nano-tables where $15 is a lot closer to a reasonable bankroll (though still on the light side).

No comments: