28 August 2007

I'm a card rack

The first Bodog Blogger tournament was last night. Only 12 runners. With the Bodog-supplied bonus, the top 8 got bonus tournament dollars, the top three also got money. Pretty good overlay.

I did my best impression of Astin, getting the right cards at the right time. I couldn't tell you how many times I called an all-in and it ended up being pair over pair, with mine being just a bit higher. And holding. It wasn't all gravy -- I recall one hand where I came out on the wrong end of full house over full house -- but it was way more positive than negative. I ended up taking down the whole thing, personally knocking out all but a two or three players.

The first half hour or so I felt really out of it and disoriented. It was partly that I haven't played much at Bodog and their layout is a bit different than most other places. But I also think my couple weeks wading ankle-deep in the shallow end of the Hold'em pool has not done anything positive for my tournament game.

I kept waiting for a hand where six people would all limp into the pot and then check it to the river. Yeah, right, in a blogger tournament.

It's a good thing I've played so many of these blogger things before so I could almost run on autopilot through the first hour. I think I did finally get in the swing of things after a while, though I never did feel really on my game.

I wish I could say I played a great game, outsmarting my opponents at every turn. But that would be intellectually dishonest. I made a few good plays, but 80% of what got me the win was pure luck with the cards.

Thanks to whoever it was organized this. Hopefully we can get more pimpage for next week and get a decent field for the start. The tournament is open to anyone who writes or reads a poker blog, so, if you're reading this, you're welcome to join in.

No comments: