25 April 2008

Another Rollercoaster

Why, oh, why can't I listen to that little voice that tells me I'm beat and should fold as fast as possible? It could have been much worse, but I dumped about $1 into a pot when I was about 95% sure I was beat. I told myself I should fold to the big river bet, but I still pushed the Call button.

I started fairly strong, then the hand above happened and took all my winnings and about half my buy-in. I struggled back to positive territory. Then a lotto player sat down. I should know better than to roll the dice with these idiots, but I was sure I was ahead when he pushed all-in. I was right about being ahead, but then his massive 52o flopped two pair and I lost the rest of my initial buy-in.

I took a little break to clear my head, then sat down again. This time things went differently. I took a few big pots, induced an all-in when I knew I was WAY ahead, and next thing I knew I was up over a buy-in at this table, making me whole for the night and providing a decent profit. Considering I was facing a one buy-in loss earlier in the evening, the result was quite good. I'd be happier with myself if I hadn't rolled the dice and if I'd listened to the little voice.

The variety at this level can be both interesting and frustrating. One table will show respect for any raise. Another will get callers all around on a 3BB raise from UTG. And most of them will be calling with air. Keeps you on your toes.

No comments: