14 April 2008

The Weekend

I took a short break from The Quest to clear my head after the last loss. I've been using my account at Poker.com for my "fun" poker. There's only a bit over $200 in that account and I have no intention of depositing more, so I have to be careful to not go broke there.

The Badugi action has been a bit light, so I played a little Omaha, both PLO and PLO8. I'm getting a lot better at knowing when to run away.

My big weakness at this point is knowing which hands are worth sticking with pre-flop when I'm facing a raise. My gut feel is to fold anything other than very strong hands, but the 6-handed game I've been playing tends to attract players who play with no apparent strategy at all. I've seen pre-flop raises from people who turned out to have something like QJs and a couple low cards.

I have the feeling I might be leaving money on the table by folding to too many pre-flop raises. OTOH, I've been walking away with more chips than I sat down with most of the time, so maybe I should stick with what I've been doing.

I played the Badugi freeroll again on Saturday. I didn't last even 30 minutes.

Sunday I played some more PLO8 at Poker.com. There wasn't much action and I was forced to play way over my bankroll at the $0.10/$0.25 table. It worked out in my favor. There was one big hand where I flopped two big pair and rivered the boat. I managed to induce a big bet from the other guy that put me all-in. It's very nice to double-up like that.

I finally got back to The Quest Sunday night. That session was another one that turned mostly on one big hand. I don't recall all the details, but facing an all-in at the river I reasoned that if the other guy had the only hand that beat me he'd have played it differently. In other words, he wasn't telling a consistent story with his bluff. I was correct and doubled up.

Finished the session up $1.77, bringing the bankroll to $26.06. It's getting tough to resist the temptation to move up a level just to get this thing rolling a bit faster. At the rate I'm going it's going to be next year before I move up to a $5 buy-in. Perhaps I need to start multi-tabling. I've been trying to resist that so I can concentrate on the play, but it goes so slow I'm afraid my attention often wanders.

No comments: