27 April 2008

Pauly, Badugi, and The Quest

Played Dr. Pauly's Saturday PLO tournament. Just when I think I might be getting a bit of a handle on PLO, I discover I've been kidding myself. I still can't figure what hands are worth calling a raise with, at least pre-flop. Some hands kind of play themselves in that situation, but there are a lot of hands between the obvious folds and the obvious re-raises where I'm at a loss. I can only console myself with the near certain knowledge that many other players haven't a clue either.

Also played the Badugi freeroll at Pokercs.com. Not sure why I bother. Even with the benefit of some idiot basically giving me all his chips about two minutes into it, I still didn't last half an hour. The starting stacks are way, way too small for pot limit and the size of the starting blinds. It's just a crap shoot. I think this may be my last attempt at this one, even if it is free.

Got in a couple good sessions on The Quest and moved the bankroll over the $40 mark. If the current trend continues I should soon be out of the serious danger zone. Though it's been 12 winning days in a row. Experience tells me that's not going to continue. Or maybe I've finally learned how to successfully play at the $0.01/$0.02 level.

Speaking of that level, it never ceases to amaze me when people sit at the lowest possible level and then criticize the play of others, as though it was reasonable to expect professional play at the two cent table. Complaining about the play at the two cent table is like going to a little league game and bitching about not seeing any 90 MPH fastballs.

I should probably just turn the chat off, but sometimes it's rather funny. Like tonight when someone volunteered "KQ" after a hand I had won. (KQ would have given him TP on the flop, with me being saved by the river.) Then someone else says, "The hand history says you had 63." (I thought about saying the same thing, but figured there might be a few people who didn't know the hand history showed the mucked cards and I didn't want to give away the secret. 63 meant the guy had no business calling my pre-flop raise and even less business calling my flop bet.) Then the first guy says, "No, that's what I thought you had." Yeah, right, that's always what people mean when they type two cards into chat without anyone asking them anything. "Yeah, that's it, that's what I thought your cards were. Yeah, that's the ticket."

No comments: