08 January 2009

Still doubling

I'm still hitting up the Double-Up tournaments at PokerSnooze. Results the last week have been off a bit. I lost three in a row yesterday.

Very first hand on one of them I get pocket kings. There is a min-raise ahead of me. For some reason the alarm bells didn't go off on this. I'm thinking now that for some reason I didn't notice it was a raise. Two more callers ahead. I make it T140 to go. The original raiser pushes all-in. Combined with the min-raise this should have made the alarm bells ring their loudest. That's why I'm thinking I misread the min-raise as a call. I called. Of course, the other guy had aces. One hand and I hit the rails.

These tournaments appear to have become exceedingly popular. I tried for about five minutes yesterday to register in one of them. I'd select one with just one player registered. By the time I could click on the necessary things to get registered the tournament would be full. Even when I clicked the "register me in any similar tournament" button it took a couple minutes for a table to come up.

As I was writing this I won my third Double-Up of the day. It doesn't quite make up for yesterday due to the rake, but it sure feels good. I was beginning to wonder if I'd lost my touch.

I've noticed that the quality of play in these has been improving a bit. In the last hand of the last tournament one player was all-in in the SB. I had squat, but I called anyway hoping everyone else would grok the situation and do likewise. One other player did and the BB checked. Surprisingly, the BB caught trips on the flop, but he checked it down. The shortie was eliminated and the rest of us walked away with money. It's nice to see it played properly at least sometimes.

The recent tournament losses have set back progress on The Quest a bit, but it's still moving in the right direction.

No comments: