12 January 2009

You made the call

Well, actually, I don't know what you would have done because there were no responses to my "You make the call" entry.

Here's the situation. PokerSnore Double-Up tournament. You're in the BB for T300 with T1800 behind. Blinds are 150/300/30. There are six players remaining -- one more elimination and it's over. The short stack has T1415. The next biggest stack has T2430. You're holding KQs. The small stack pushes all-in and it folds around to you.

If you fold, you've still got T1800 and aren't in immediate danger of blinding out, but the SB is coming next hand and you'll be down to T1620. Just as importantly, the once small stack will have T2045 if you fold. He's pretty desperate, being down to less than 5BB. He could be pushing here with almost anything, hoping the other short stack won't play back at him.

If you call and win, the tournament is over and you walk away with money. If you call and lose, you're in very big trouble and will probably have to push with whatever you are dealt next hand. Certainly you'll have to push within the next four or five hands.

I made the call. Ultimately, I reasoned that no matter what I did I was going to have to risk all my chips within the next few hands. Better to make my stand now with decent holdings and hope my opponent had JJ or less, giving me a coin toss.

My opponent had AJo. I didn't catch and he took down the pot.

I was forced to push with 54o a couple hands later and ended up getting outkicked by a 73o. Sad way to end a tournament.

If you have any thoughts on this, please leave a comment. I think I made the right choice here, regardless the outcome, but I would like to hear what others think.

No comments: