28 June 2007

Closing on goal

The Mookie was last night. Decent turnout with 72 runners hitting the virtual felt. Not quite up to the level established last week, but quite impressive nonetheless.

My dearth of cards and skill at losing coin flips mostly continued. I keep trying to tell myself I'm making the right moves -- tossing another $600 into a $1800 pot when you're almost certain it's a coin flip is still the correct move, right? -- and therefore "winning" according to the Sklansky definition. I just haven't figured out why my chips keep ending up in someone else's stack after all these "wins".

I did have one hand where my all-in with KTs against 98o was victorious. And one major suckout when my all-in with 55 ran into QQ and I flopped another 5.

There was one hand in particular where I decided to pay attention to my spidey sense, but I have no idea if my judgment was correct or if irongirl01 bluffed my pants off. I raised to 3BB from UTG with AJo. Not something I would ordinarily do, but it was getting late and I needed to get something going. Irongirl01 called from MP, everyone else folded.

Flop is 42T rainbow. I c-bet 2/3 the pot, irongirl01 calls. The alarms really went off here. She was down to about M=9 before the hand started. What could she possibly be holding that would justify calling pre-flop and just calling a crap flop like this? To put 1000 in the pot with just 1000 left behind makes no sense unless she's got a monster or she's setting up a very dangerous post oak bluff. Or she's a calling station, but I know that's not the case. Irongirl01 is probably capable of the complicated bluff, but I'm not sure she knows me well enough to know if I'd read the suspicious behavior and react as desired to it. That kind of thing needs a stone cold, dead on balls accurate read. Kudos to her if that's what she did.

The turn was a blank. I decided I was done putting money in this pot. She put in a meager 500 bet -- half her remaining stack, but only 1/5 the pot -- and I let it go.

Should you happen to read this, irongirl01, I'd love to know what you were holding. Well played regardless of what you had.

Down to about M=7 and blinds going up in seconds, I pushed with 88. Somewhat to my dismay I got a call from sellthekids. To my great dismay, Maudie also called. My 88 vs sellthekids' 44 vs Maudie's TT. I turned my set, but Maudie re-sucked at the river, sending sellthekids to the rail and leaving me with crumbs. I was gone two hands later, finishing in 24th and getting me closer to my goal of top 50 on the BBT leaderboard.

Tonight is the last of the Riverchasers BBT events. See you there.

No comments: