14 June 2007

Mookie, Dookie, and things just kookie

I played the Mookie, the Dookie, and another FTP Tier One ticket tournament. Dinner, which was great, by the way -- Capital Grill, dry aged beef, yummmmmmmmm -- ended a bit earlier than I expected so I played the Tier One tournament while waiting for the Mookie to start. Oh, one more thing about dinner, they had the best calamari I've ever had. Very tender and served with sauteed chilis. There were what looked like sliced jalapenos and some of those round red chilis that are a bit spicy. The chilis and the calamari went together fabulously. Highly recommended.

I'm going to go in reverse order to get the less exciting items out of the way first. The Dookie was turbo razz last night. I have a love-hate relationship with razz. It can be the easiest game in the world if you're getting cards. Or it can be frustration cubed if you're not. I was actually doing okay toward the beginning. Stole a few pots, won a few the proper way. Then the cards dried up. I'd make a run at a pot, clearly in the lead, and cards would fall exactly wrong for me. The blinds had escalated so by the time this happened it was very expensive. I went from being in good shape to being in trouble very quickly. I can't find the hand history for my final hand, so I guess you're spared the gory details.

I was doing okay in the Mookie -- not great, but on track to make the points and possibly more -- until IslandBum1 hit his 7-outer at the river to beat my flopped two pair. I was happy with the way I played it, just not the outcome. I successfully enticed him to put it all in the middle when I was better than 2:1 to win. Hard to not like that situation.

I had IslandBum1 covered so I wasn't out of it, but I was hurting now. So when the flop comes 77T with me holding T6, I pushed it all in the middle. Unfortunately, NumbBono had TQ and the board did not provide me with a better kicker. I went out just before the break and missing the points by just a couple positions.

There's one hand from the Tier One tournament I'd like to mention. We were on the ticket bubble and I was in very good shape. I quite likely could have sat out and still got a ticket. The short stack, who was down to something like 1000 with blinds at 300/600, was to my immediate left. I get QQ. Ordinarily, in this situation, I'd fold.

Yes, you heard me right. I'm not looking to "win" this, I'm just looking not to lose. QQ is a hand that at this point is likely to win you a little or lose you a lot. I don't need the chips and I certainly don't want to lose a lot. But the shortie is clearly in push or fold territory and QQ is a hand I'd be willing to take up against his desperation all-in. So I just call. I'm only calling because the shortie acts after I do and I want to still be in the pot if he decides to push. Turns out he folds.

So it's NewinNov in the BB and me to the flop. It always strikes me as kind of odd accidentally bumping into someone I know from other tournaments -- the blogger events in this case -- in some other random tournament. And I'm never sure if I should say hello or if we should pretend we don't know each other just so the other players don't suspect some kind of collusion. I know, I'm being paranoid. Anyway, the flop brings a K. It actually didn't matter what the flop brought. Short of the other two Q's or maybe a straight flush, I'm not investing anything more in this pot anyway. I probably could have gotten some more chips on the river since NewinNov caught a pair of J's, but it seemed to better meet our mutual goal of eliminating the shortie to just check it all the way down.

Some might not agree with the way I played this, but I think I played it right given the situation and the goal of simply surviving one more elimination. Comments, of course, are welcome.

The next BBT event is Riverchasers, tonight, 9pm EDT, at Full Tilt. See you there.

1 comment:

TripJax said...

I see no problems with the play in the token tourney. Absolutely no reason to put yourself in a situation where you might not get a token. I don't care if you have AA, if it is not a good feel, you don't have to play in that situation.

I've played a few of those with NewIn and I seem to recall times where we didn't say anything and other times where we did chat some.

I played a token frenzy recently and I had amassed so many chips that I could play any two cards all-in and it wouldn't matter what happened. Mid-way through their was a point that I had 10+ times as much as the next closest person...not just at my table, but in the whole tournament. I think at one point near the end I had over 150,000 and the next closest had something like 20,000, but he was not at my table. It was sick...but fun as hell. That was one of the few times in a token tourney that I could play anything and never worry. I finished 1st out of 160 even though once it was down to the "money", it was an all-in fest. Quite enjoyable.