21 June 2007

Thank you, sir, may I have another?

Somebody please pass the Vaseline. That's what I should have asked during the Mookie last night. I'd get something marginally worth playing, put in a pre-flop raise, miss the flop, c-bet, and, WHAM!, somebody's over the top, every...single...time. I might as well have been wearing a sign that said, "Please steal this pot from me." And, sadly, unless I wanted to risk the whole tournament very early, I was left with no option but folding.

As things turned out, I might as well have made a stand early. I had one decent hand where I managed to turn a nice profit with AA and got back to a point where I could grow my stack. But then I overplayed AK and was down to the felt. Busted out well short of the points bubble.

The high point of my night was early in the evening when I was screwing around at $0.25/$0.50 limit, just blowing off steam and playing even more like a donkey than I did in the Mookie. I managed to totally bluff some guy out of a giant $3.85 pot. Man, that felt good. Not easy to do at that level of limit either.

Since the pickings are rather slim on the poker front today, I'm going to launch into a rant I wanted to do on Tuesday. I'm through with Buddy Dank Radio. Buddy's music and chat fest is the darling of many of the bloggers, and I have to admit it's a pretty cool idea, at least in theory.

What's my problem with it? Well, and I know this is a generational thing, but I HATE rap. I'd rather have my fingernails torn out with a rusty pair of pliers than have to listen to that crap. So I put in my request and wait like an hour for it to come up, somehow managing to survive through countless piles of rap, only to have Buddy 86 my song before it starts because it's too long.

Buddy, my friend, if you don't want to play 11-minute songs, don't put them in the damn request list. And what the hell is the difference if you play one 11-minute song or three 4-minute steaming piles of rap back-to-back?

So I wait around for my next request to come up, again sitting through more piles of rap (and, admittedly, a few good tunes too), to have him cut it off halfway through to play -- I swear to god -- Huey Lewis. Huey.. Fucking... Lewis. He pulled down Phish to play Huey... Fucking... Lewis. That was the last straw. I 86'd Buddy Dank Radio and put up a nice Bob Seger play list. Vast improvement.

Buddy's got a fairly eclectic collection of tunes on the request list, but a large number of them are things I'm sure would never get played in their entirety based on my recent experience. If "Bouncing 'Round the Room" isn't upbeat enough, I'm guessing Harry Chapin's "Taxi" or any of the Henry Mancini tracks wouldn't make it very far. There are a lot of songs in the list that I personally like, including "Taxi", but they aren't exactly party tunes. I spent a lot of time looking through the list trying to find something agreeable to me and not objectionable to everyone else. Trust me, that's a thin line to walk. Apparently I failed to find the right balance.

What Buddy Dank Radio really needs is a few more songs about waffles. Played at least four times an hour. That will definitely improve things. And maybe a couple zippy Henry Mancini tunes. I wonder if he has any Herb Alpert? I haven't heard the Tijuana Brass in ages. Glen Campbell... A little "Wichita Lineman" should get things hopping.

Okay, so I'm just kidding. I'd rather get my fingernails AND toenails pulled out with rusty pliers than have to listen to rap.

Seriously, Buddy, I do wish you well with the streamcast. It's a cool idea. But I really won't be listening any more. I enjoy the commentary; it's just not worth sitting through a bunch of music I dislike for the occasional witty remark or major meltdown when somebody sucks out on you. I know I'm in a small minority on this so I doubt you'll notice a drop in listenership.

Tonight, I believe, is Riverchasers. If my ass isn't too sore from last night, I'll probably be there.

1 comment:

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

This is a good rant, Patch, wish I'd seen it sooner. I find that during the live broadcast and commentary days, the music is pretty few and far between anyways, and it's the commentary that I really love about the radio show. I barely even listen to the music when it comes right down to it.