06 June 2007

RIP WWdN

It was with sadness and regret that I read of the demise of the progenitor of the blogger tournaments, the WWdN. I was most regretful that I hadn't read of this until this morning, after the final tournament was over.

The WWdN was the tournament that got me interested in playing tournaments, and certainly was what lead to me playing other blogger tournaments and eventually to starting this blog.

For a while there I made an effort to revive the Thursday West Coastie WWdN by hosting the WWdNot. But, alas, it never really caught on.

All things pass. Some are mourned more than others. I haven't been playing the WWdN in a while -- it eventually suffered somewhat from its own success -- but I'll still miss it.

Wil has mentioned there will be a couple memorial events in the coming weeks. Maybe the Tournament Of Champions will finally happen. I will definitely be keeping a closer watch on Wil's blog so I won't miss the memorials.

2 comments:

Buddy Dank said...

Thanks for coming out and tuning in last night. I'll have to look into that foobar program.

Patch said...

foobar2000 is a low impact, no frills audio player. It doesn't look like much, but it's highly functional.

It will also do cross-conversion from pretty much any audio format to any other audio format. If you've got a codec, it can do the conversion. (The key is to right click on the audio file. Took me a while to figure that out.)

I was particularly attracted to it when the author said something to the effect that it would support skins over his dead body. I'm not a big fan of skinning.