07 June 2007

The Mookie or my night of endless suckouts

I had a pretty good night at The Mookie, though it was far more through dumb luck than great poker skill. I finished 5th of 51. For those keeping score, that's a 4th and a 5th for me in blogger events this week. Apparently my time away from poker did me some good.

I'm going to try to be a bit more concise with the discussion of the hands this time. My first big hand came with the blinds at 25/50 and me in the BB with a very impressive 85o. Three of us see a flop of 898, two suited. I bet 100, BrLKoSTa420 raised to 200, SB folds, I make it 600, he pushes, I call. BrLKoSTa420 obviously didn't take me for having an 8 and I either made a fantastic read or was a fool. He shows A9, gets no help on the turn or river, and I double up to 2630.

The next big one was my first major suckout of the night. With the blinds at 50/100, boneyardxxx makes it 350 to go. I'm feeling frisky on the back of several smaller wins and decide my AQo is enough to put him to the test. He started the hand with 1110 so I put him almost all the way in. He thought a few seconds and then pushed in the rest. He shows AKo and I'm going, "Oooopppsss". But the flop brings a Q and I send him back to the boneyard. Sorry, dude.

The next big suckout was against smokkee. This needs a bit of back story. Smokkee had been nearing the danger zone for a while and had pushed all-in several times in the preceding hands. His chat also showed he was getting anxious. So when he pushed again from UTG+1, I figured there was a chance my 88 was ahead. It also cost me less than a third of my stack. Losing would have hurt, but I'd still have been in fairly decent shape. I was a bit surprised when he turned over JJ. The surprise continued when I rivered a third 8 and sent smokkee packing.

The next in my long line of suckouts came against katiemother. Blinds/antes at 120/240/25, she calls from the button, I complete from the SB with 86s, GCox25 checks. Flop is A66, two suited. Check, check, 920 from katiemother. The two suited thing bothered me just a bit so I decided to make my move here. I push. I had both of them covered by quite a lot so I was risking about half my stack. GCox25 folds, katiemother calls and shows Q6. I'm in trouble. I need the case 6, an A, a K, or an 8. Eight outs to a tie, three to a win. The river brings my 8. Apparently I've been saving up luck all this time I've been away from the tables.

I'm up to 15,660 now and am somewhere near the top of the leaderboard.

Finally comes a big pot that I won without a suckout. I wake up to AA in the cutoff. Since I'm by far the big stack at the table, I need to be a bit cagey to get some action. I just call. Real cagey, eh? SB completes, BB checks. Flop is Q53. (This brings back bad memories of the SnG I played earlier in the evening where I'd put in a big raise with AQ from the SB and got one caller from EP who'd limped. Same flop. I'm short so I push. He calls and shows 53s. The idiot called my 5BB raise with 53s. How do you defend against brilliant play like that? That's probably what my opponents have been saying about me up to this point.) I get lucky and NomeyMyHomey bets 600 into the 920 pot. I make it 1920 to go (must have been a slider special). Meanhappyguy folds, NomeyMyHomey calls. Turn brings an 8. Nomey, for some reason, pushes all-in for 3820. There's already about 4800 in the pot, so I'm not going away. He's got just an OESD, which the river does not fill.

The beginning of my demise came due to, you guessed it, a suckout. My 99 vs NumbersGame's 77. Flop brings a 7, eventually filling to a full house, and I drop over a third of my stack, leaving me 9k with blinds/antes at 250/500/50 and the final table down to the last six.

Willwonka was next to go when his AKo fell to drmindbendr's A7s when the river brought a 7.

I made my exit a few hands later when the flop paired my weak A and meanhappyguy had me outkicked. No suckout to the rescue this time. I finish 5th of 51.

Seems "concise" just isn't in my nature. Oh well...

Kudos to BuddyDank for streamcasting music and commentary during the whole tournament. Some of the commentary was very funny. Responding to the request for Hanson was funny and more than a bit scary. I hope that was a quick internet download and not a catalog selection. Can't say I was thrilled with the turn toward rap at the end. Also made me feel really old when I'm cringing having to listen to that crap and everyone else is obviously digging it.

The next BBT event is the MATH next Monday. Given my performances in the last two events I just may have to play.

2 comments:

4dbirds said...

Congrats on making the final table. I couldn't believe it when that 8 hit on the river. It was like "but of course". LOL. Hey, I'm over it and glad you cashed.

Buddy Dank said...

haha, I was feeling a bit aged myself. I didn't know a single song that was being requested toward the end of the night but by that time I was too drunk to care. Not to worry, my play selection during the game will continue to be a large variety of 70s 80s and 90s music.
Nice work on another final table finish and thanks for tuning in.