04 November 2006

Full Tilt $25k

I've been listening to hoyazo talk about the FT $20k for so long, now that they've increased it to $25k guaranteed, I just had to give it a try. So when I got home tonight I sat down at one of the Tier One $8+$0.70 turbo satellites which award $26 tokens to the top five finishers. I got a token from the first one.

I'm not really sure what to say about the $25k. I was close to card dead the entire time. A monkey could have played for me. Fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold,... Wait until seriously short-stacked. Push all-in with anything remotely resembling a good hand. Hope for the best. Rinse and repeat.

I went through the hand history and counted. I won 6 pots of significant size the entire tournament. On five of them I pushed all-in. On the sixth I called somebody else's all-in. I picked up about six more of considerably lesser size. In only one of those did I have a really strong starting hand.

Yet, 98% crap cards the whole time, and I still managed to place 74th of 1403 for $64. I'm not sure if that speaks to my ability to pick my spots, to maximize the return from crap, or to just sit back and let the idiots kill each other off.

If I had gotten anything at all in the way of cards I think I could have gone much further. One or two big hands when I wasn't short-stacked and desperate was all it would have taken. So I'm hopeful I can score in this one again. I just wish they'd start it earlier in tne evening. It was past 1am here when I was eliminated. That's getting pretty late for having to work the next day, so I'll probably only play on weekends.

No comments: