12 November 2006

More Tilting

I'm originally from the Chicago area. While I don't closely follow football like I once did, I do like to watch the Bears whenever I get a chance. So I settled in to watch the Bears play the Giants tonight and completely forgot about the WPBT 'E' event that I wanted to play. Oh well, at least I got to watch the longest runback in NFL history. That was pretty cool. And the Bears came to life in the second half.

Just before halftime I figured I could handle playing a table or two of limit and still follow the game, so I fired up Full Tilt and went hunting for a good table. And I found one.

There was a guy at one table who was playing EVERY... SINGLE... HAND. He at least saw the flop, no matter what his cards, no matter how many raises there were ahead of him. Toward the end of my time there he did start folding before the river if there was a lot of action and he hadn't gotten lucky on the flop, but when I first sat down he was taking every hand to the showdown, regardless of whether he was playing the board or not.

The most amazing thing was the guy was actually up $50 when I left the table after 90 minutes. Unfortunately, I got very few hands that were worth playing. I took a few more chances than I normally would, knowing Mr. I-Don't-Have-A-Fold-Button would pay me off if I hit my longshot, but they never came in. I finally caught a couple winners toward the end and was able to walk away up a few dollars.

Watching this guy play got me thinking about style. I know his strategy, and I use the term loosely, is a big time loser, but it did highlight a few things. He was able to hang in because when he caught a hand the other players were often paying him off, not believing he actually had anything. I even got caught by that right at the end when I raised with pocket tens and he called with J6. The flop came 667 and I called him all the way.

Anyway, a few cheap chases and showing down total garbage at a table with thinking players might not be such a bad investment. Something to think about.

After tonight I'm about 70% of the way toward clearing my $100 special bonus and I've done about $120 of my reload.

No comments: