23 October 2006

Monied At The Hoy

Had a pretty good Monday At The Hoy. Got some decent cards, apparently made a few good plays, and managed to finish 3rd, though I think that was as much due to staying out of the way toward the end as it was good play on my part. Surflexus continued his tradition of making good laydowns to my strong hands. At least I think they were good laydowns. I didn't actually see. I need to figure out how to outfox him.

My funniest hand of the night was when we were down to three and, having been card-challenged for some time, I finally got some decent starters, KQs. Mungo36, who had a pretty big chip lead, had been running roughshod over the table for quite a while. He did his typical raise to 666 (blinds 100/200), Iggy folded, and I called from the BB. The flop is AKQ, two-suited. I've been playing like a real wuss for the last couple dozen hands so now's the time to take advantage of it. I check. Mungo36 does a Hoy, putting me all-in minus one. Of course, I call. The turn is a blank and I resist the urge to toss in my last chip. Mungo36 checks also. The river brings another K. I can't resist any longer and put in my last chip. Mungo36 calls and turns over, you guessed it, the hammer! He was suited and caught four to the flush on the flop, so his putting me almost all-in wasn't a complete bluff. Still, I got a good laugh out of it. I suggested it would have been funnier if he'd folded when I tossed in my last chip.

My final hand was pretty stupid. Iggy and I were almost even when I get A4s and raise to 600 (100/200/25). Iggy calls. Flop is 4QK, two diamonds and only one of my suit. I caught a piece so I figure I need to bet something. I toss 1000 into a 1200 pot. Iggy pushes all-in for another 4211. This is a huge overbet. The safe move is obviously to fold, but I keep wondering about the big bet. I'm thinking flush draw, meaning I'm ahead, so I call. I was right about the flush draw. He had two diamonds. Unfortunately, one of them was the king. Stupid move on my part calling with bottom pair.

Congrats to Iggy for winning and to Mungo36 for playing through the cabernet fog to take second. Tomorrow is the WWdN at PokerStars, 20:00 EDT, password monkey.

No comments: