09 October 2006

Moving up

As I think I mentioned in a previous entry, I've been toying with the idea of moving up to some more expensive tournaments. Not that I've been finishing in the money so consistently in the $10 SnGs that it's obviously time, but more the apparent impending implosion of online poker that makes me feel I should do something with the bankroll while I still have a chance. I've been playing way, way below what my bankroll will reasonably allow so it's not like a few $50 or $100 tournaments would put me in any danger of going broke.

Anyway, this weekend I took some action on this sort-of plan. Largely spur of the moment, just like most of my big poker decisions, I jumped into a $30+$3 SnG at Full Tilt. Got total crap cards and watched as a couple of lucky jokers sucked up a lot of chips and started bullying the table. I finished in 6th.

I immediately jumped into another of the same, again getting total crap cards, but this time hanging on to go out on the bubble.

Last night I played a couple $20+$2 SnGs at PokerStars. Yet again, I finished out of the money in both.

My record of moving up and finishing out of the money in all four tournaments would seem to not bode well for this endeavor, but my observations differ somewhat from the results. In none of the four tournaments did I see anything that scared me. There was a fairly regular mix of donkeys, lucky donkeys, and decent players. The least of the players in any of the regular blogger tournaments would have not been uncomfortable at any of these tables.

So, until the bankroll starts getting thin, I think I'm going to stick with the slightly more expensive tournaments. OTOH, if my cards don't improve soon (I knew I blew several weeks worth of luck in the last WWdN: Not The) I may be hitting the thin bankroll stage a lot sooner than expected. I'll keep you posted.

Tonight is Mondays At The Hoy. 22:00 EDT at PokerStars. Password is hammer. Hope to see you there.

No comments: