06 June 2008

Another good night on The Quest

Last night proved to be my second biggest night so far on The Quest. On my very first hand I was dealt AA and ran into someone who just didn't want to believe I could get a premium hand on the my first deal. The flop was all low junk and I couldn't believe he'd have called my pre-flop raise holding two of those type of cards. So when he pushed in all his chips it didn't take long for me to call. First pot of the night and I double up.

Sadly, I should have walked away from the table right then because that was my high point, though I still finished up almost $2 at that table.

The other table took a bit more work as I slowly built my stack. This was one of those tables with mostly passive players and I was able to steal a lot of pots.

Then, right before I left the table, I got into one of those hands where the other player was one card too late in his actions. I was dealt pocket nines, put in a small raise, and got one caller. The flop was J33. Check, check. Turn was a 2. I bet half the pot, he called. This was his mistake. The river brought my third 9. I bet about half the pot and he immediately pushed all-in. Pocket jacks or pocket threes were the only hands that had me beat, so it didn't take much thought to make the call. He turns over 22. Caught his boat on the turn but gave me a cheap shot at making my hand. I suppose it wasn't really that bad a move on his part since I only had four outs (not that he knew that), but it still ended up being one of those huge overbets that can reasonably be called only by someone who has you beat. Like me.

Finished the night up $6.29. The bankroll is now up to $82.80. $0.02/$0.05 is getting close.