26 June 2008

Bad, bad night on The Quest

Last night was the worst night yet on The Quest. If I'd had any sense about me I'd have quit as soon as I realized the cards were even deader than the night before. I got horrible cards, which is all the more frustrating when you're playing 6-max, and even that's shorthanded, and there are a couple aggressive players at the table. You know these other guys are stealing pots right and left, but you've got cards that are unlikely to beat even a bluff.

In all honesty, however, I can't put all the blame on the cards. Bad cards will often result in a down night, but you need some donkey moves or some really bad luck to make it a very down night. Part of the problem was it took me a while to realize I wasn't playing with the normal fish. One of the tables was filled with decent players. What's the line from Rounders? If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. Last night, I was the sucker. I was trying too hard to make my crappy cards work.

The loss of three buy-ins pushes the bankroll down below my established minimum to play $0.02/$0.05. It's only a bit below, so I may risk one more buy-in tonight. If I lose that, it's definitely back to the shallowest part of the pool.

No comments: