22 June 2008

Rainy Weekend

Saturday I played Dr. Pauly's PLO tournament for all of eight hands. I Gigli'd on one of those hands where all you can do is shake your head in amazement at the way poor play gets paid off sometimes. I don't claim to be a PLO expert. I wouldn't even claim to be anything more than barely fair at PLO. But I still have to wonder about calling a pot-sized flop re-raise when all you have is bottom pair and an OESD. And then calling a pot-size turn bet that commits three-fourths of your stack with just the OESD and a very weak flush draw that could easily be beat. Sorry, it was one of those hands that I can't let go of. From my perspective, my opponent made absolutely horrible decisions all the way to the river. The only thing he did right was make me put in my last chip when I knew I was beat. Yeah, I'm bitter about it. So what?

On a brighter note, I cheated my Quest plan a bit and started playing $0.02/$0.05 when I was $0.36 shy of having the 20 buy-ins I set as a minimum. My first couple sessions went well, putting me up $5.05 on the day and moving the bankroll over the minimum to flirt with $0.02/$0.05.

Based on first impressions, I'm seeing more serious players at this level, but still enough total fish that a decent player can turn a nice profit. So far my BB/100 is even higher than at $0.01/$0.02, though it's obviously way too early to tell if that will hold. Sadly, play at this level appears to be as slow, if not slower, than at the lower level. I'm going to play just one table at a time until I'm completely confident at this new level, so the slow play may be just next to torture.

No comments: