24 May 2008

I suck(out) at Omaha

Dr. Pauly once again hosted his Saturday PLO tournament at PokerStars this afternoon. I just found what looks to be a pretty cool hand viewer program so we'll try to graphically display exactly how much suckage occurred.



I can't quite figure out how to make this look like I really want and I'm tired of futzing with it, so we'll just alternate pictures and text.

On the very first hand I get what look like decent openers, so when it folds to me in the cutoff I make it 3BB to go. boscodon calls and the blinds both fold.



The flop misses me completely, but I c-bet in the hopes it missed boscodon as well. He calls.



The turn misses me too so I decide to slow it down. I check, boscodon checks.



The river brings me an actual hand. I'm a bit concerned about the flush possibility, so I put in what's sort of a semi-post oak bluff. By betting small I'm trying to represent something stronger than what I actually have. But boscodon still calls.



And, as we now see, the suckage has begun. boscodon had me all the way to the river. In all fairness to me, however, if boscodon had just once bet like he was holding those cards I'd probably have run away.

I don't want to over do it with the graphics so I'll just post summaries from here on. The good Dr picked up a nice pot when his AKK4 turned into broadway. A while later I picked up a medium sized pot with pocket queens. Then I dumped even more when I made the classic blunder of betting the idiot end of the straight and USC55ND24 came over the top big time. I recovered from my blunder by walking away. It was a good move as USC55ND24 showed the top straight.

A number of seating changes later change100 and meeshelle moved to my table. This was particularly notable because meeshelle had 7500 chips. The next largest stack at the table was 2900.

Change100 put a bit of a dent in messhelle's stack when she slowplayed AAKQ, got it all in on the flop of TT7, and boated on the turn when the third ten came up.

Meeshelle eventually restored her stack to its former glory and boosted it even further when boscodon apparently decided to bluff at a connected board. Unfortunately, meeshelle was holding the nuts. Now, with a stack more than three times the next closest, the big stack bullying began in earnest.



Then came the first of two brutal suckouts against change100. I was very low on chips and actually couldn't have been happier when she potted it before it got to me. KKQT with a suited K is a dream hand when you're as low on chips as I was. I joyfully pushed in the rest of my chips. I wasn't quite so happy when change100 called and tabled aces. Since this all happened before the flop and this being Omaha I still had about 97 outs, but what happened was still pretty ugly.



On the very next hand came this. Change100 flops the nuts and I go runner-runner to take it away. Most of the money went in before the flop. I figured I was beat on the flop, but I was getting better than 4-to-1 and on the surface it looked like there were lots of ways to win this. In retrospect I'm not sure I had remotely as many outs as I estimated at the time. But, again, I sucked out and change100 hit the rail. It's probably small consolation, but your chips were put to good use, change.



Then it was time to suck out on meeshelle. Reviewing this hand I honestly don't know what I was thinking. Maybe I was just fed up with meeshelle playing big stack. Maybe I was getting hungry and figured it was double-up or dinner. In any case, I pushed all-in with a weak two pair and a really mediocre flush draw. Meeshelle called and I rivered my flush.

That hand significantly changed the situation. Meeshelle still had a lot of chips but no longer the way biggest stack at the table.

Soon after this we made it to the final table. I caught a couple decent hands and took medium sized pots with them. Then I went up against meeshelle with what I'm guessing looked a lot bigger at the time. Short story, I hit a very small flush that was big enough to take a very nice pot and make me the big stack by a factor of two.

The big chip lead didn't last long as on the very next hand the fates decided it was time to balance the karma. CSuave doubled up off me on a rivered two pair.



Two hands after that I sent meeshelle to the rail with this beauty. For once, I was in the lead right from the start.



CSuave sucked the lead away from me with this one. To be fair, he had quite a few outs, but there was still a bit of a sucking sound when the chips moved in his direction. More universal balancing.

More ugliness and karmic balancing followed and instead of having more than twice as many chips as anyone else I found myself in the middle of the pack.

Quite a few hands later I went on a bit of a rush, taking five out of six in a row. The highlight was the hand where I flopped broadway and sent Mr Nick UK to the rail. By the time the rush ended I was back on top by 7000 chips.

A few hands later Astin bubbled when bayne_s turned a straight and Astin was committed with just top pair.

Next hand everyone but Capt. Homer moved up the money ladder as his three pocket tens were no match for my flopped pair of aces. This gave me double the next closest stack. I tried to play big stack, but it was tough to get away with in this crowd.

The tide changed when CSuave outkicked me by one when we both rivered aces up. I was still well in it, but it's a lot better having twice the stack of the next closest.

Bayne was next to go when his pocket aces went down to my flopped two pair. At this point DrPauly was in the lead with 15.5k, me in second with 14k and CSuave in third with 11.5k.

The very next hand DrPauly and I mixed it up with me pushing all-in on the turn with top two pair and an inside straight draw. Pauly had second pair with 13 outs to a straight. He rivered his straight. Unfortunately for him, it was also the card I needed for my inside straight, and mine was bigger. I now had 28k, CSuave had 11k, and Pauly was on life support. CSuave sent the good Dr to the rails two hands later.

We started heads up with me having almost a 2-to-1 chip lead. We played 57 hands before the winner was decided. The decisive hand was about 18 hands into heads up. I know I said I'd only do summaries after that first hand, but this one deserves more than one picture.



As you can imagine, I'm thrilled to death with this situation. Pocket aces, one suited, with a Q kicker and CSuave has pushed all-in.



Here's an unexpected development. I'm figuring we're going to push and I'll still have a big lead.



I'm still thinking push.



It's my miracle card. I'm counting my winnings at this point.



Oh, cruel, cruel river.

I fought back to almost even, but never regained the lead. CSuave played it very tough, eventually putting me away with a one-two punch of a slowplayed flopped full house and a flush that was just a bit bigger than mine.

Congrats to CSuave on the win and thanks to the good Dr for hosting another great Saturday afternoon tournament.

No comments: