04 May 2008

One of those sessions

On Saturday I had one of those sessions. You know what I mean. The kind of session where nothing connects, nothing pans out. If you got dealt eight cards and were double-suited in every suit, the flop would bring three cards of a new fifth suit never seen before. This time there were no big one hand losses. No calling of all-ins with second best. Just a continual drain. It could have been worse. I finished the session down just a bit over one buy-in.

I tried to clear away my bad luck by playing Dr. Pauly's Saturday PLO tournament. I did okay fairly early, building my stack to 2700. Then I had the misfortune to run my pocket kings plus suited ace into pocket aces. Fortunately I had the bigger stack and at least survived the battle. I made the final table, but just barely. I sucked out against pocket aces to double up but then almost immediately blew it all on a flush draw and a backdoor straight draw.

After a dinner break I went back to The Quest and managed to win back my earlier losses plus a little bit. Again, nothing really exciting. Just a lot of small pots and a couple mid-sized ones.

One interesting thing I noticed concerned my behavior toward one other player. There's got to be a name for this, but I don't know what it is. This other guy was seeing the flop on almost every hand. He was losing mostly due to his own stupidity, but there were a couple bad beats in there and I could tell he was on tilt. I basically went on tilt trying to chase him. It was nothing terrible and I usually didn't chase far, but I played a number of hands I would have ordinarily folded if not for what I perceived as an added profit opportunity. Fish-induced tilt? Juicy-target tilt?

No comments: