14 May 2008

Quest Update

Another good night on The Quest. My first session before dinner I got rather lucky when I flopped a set of kings against the other guy's pocket aces. The board pairing on the turn didn't hurt, removing what little concern I had about that flush filling.

You see the slow play with aces a lot at this level. I've done it myself a number of times, but I have to wonder about the actual wisdom of it. Considering I had kings, in this case I certainly wasn't going away, but if he'd come back over my small pre-flop raise, my call might have given him a better clue about what I might be holding. He might not have been quite so eager to push all his chips in the pot. He played it passive all the way to the river, where, far too late, he finally starting betting. I put chips in on every street, though I tread lightly so I wouldn't scare him away.

I took a couple very small pots after that and decided it was time for dinner, up exactly $2 for the session.

Later in the evening I sat down again. This time I spent at least the first 30 minutes folding. I don't think I made it past the flop once. Just as I was beginning to think I should give it up for the night, the cards improved. I won a few small pots and was soon back to even. A couple small sets helped me finish the second session up $0.64.

The bankroll has now crossed the $50 mark. If things continue as they have been of late I should be out of the red zone some time next week.

I've been giving more thought to how to speed this up a bit and have almost concluded I should start playing as many freerolls as I can find. I can always keep a table of ring open at the same time. It may end up with me actually spending more time at the ring tables. I looked into cheap SnGs, but I don't think the payoff is worth it. The time is likely better spent playing ring. Or maybe I should buy in to two dozen tables for $1 each. Playing so many hands at once should help smooth out the variance.

No comments: