11 May 2008

Someone check the temperature in hell

I cashed in a PLO tournament. It's a bloody miracle.

Okay, so there were only 17 runners. And, for a change, I actually got some very decent cards. Early on I got a nice bump when I got priced in on a nut flush play and it hit on the river. The real luck was that somebody else had the second nut flush. I'm not sure I made the best play when I just called his river bet. There were two players to act behind me and I figured a call might entice one of them to call or maybe even toss in a raise. If I'd raised I thought there was a good chance I'd chase everyone out. As it turned out, one of the players behind called, so my plan sort of worked.

That pot gave me a lot of breathing room and I was able to wait for the cards to come. And they did come. I got big suited pairs more times in this tournament than I think I have in the last 100 hours I've spent at PLO.

We got to five left and stayed there for a very long time. When we finally made it to three I had a small chip lead over ResdentEvil and Alexe55, though only 1500 chips separated first from third. My big mistake was when I overplayed pocket aces. I should have bet them bigger before the flop when I probably would have taken it down. Instead I waited until the flop when Alexe55 caught two pair. So I finished third. Congrats to ResdentEvil for taking it down.

I also played one of the freerolls that might lead to something big. These things are so complicated I can't keep it straight. It was free so I played. Finished 161st of 2000+, with the top 50 making it to the next tournament. I mostly just played tight and let the freeroll idiots knock each other out. My big mistake in this one was running AJo into a slowplayed KK. It looked like the perfect situation. UTG limps, one MP player limps. It looks like two weak hands with just the BB to act behind me. So I push. Which was exactly what UTG wanted.

No comments: